Lake Powhatan is the finest in Asheville camping and is close to all the action of downtown! Located only 10 minutes from Asheville, North Carolina, this is the perfect spot to base your vacation. The campground borders the 6,000-acre Bent Creek Experimental Forest, a haven for mountain bikers, and is close to the French Broad River. The swimming lake and beach will give you a way to cool off in the heat of the summer, and for those who like to be out-and-about, the NC Arboretum and Blue Ridge Parkway are only a few miles from the entrance to the campground. Looking for camping in Asheville, NC? Nearby campgrounds in the area include North Mills River and Davidson River.
- Open March - December 31, 2018
- Two loops open November-December 31 (Lakeside and Big John)
- Full hook-ups on Lakeside Loop - sites 36-56
- Weekend Family progams Memorial Day - Labor Day
- 97 mostly shaded sites
- Limited electric hook-ups
- Picnic tables, tent pads and fire rings
- Hot showers and flush toilets in bathrooms
- Firewood and ice available for purchase
- Beach and swimming lake with lifeguard. No canoes, kayaks or SUPS.
- Day-use passes available for purchase
Day Use Info
- Day Use per person: $2
- Day Use Season Pass: $30 available for purchase at the gatehouse
Safety in bear country begins before you stay in the campground or hit the trail. Here are a few tips!
- Single Campsite: $22 (Maximum Occupancy: 8 persons, 2 cars)
- Double Campsite: $44 (Maximum Occupancy: 16 persons, 4 cars, 4 tents)
- Electric: $6.00/day
- Electric, Water & Sewer: $9.00/day
- Dump Station: $10 (non-registered campers)
- 3rd Vehicle: $5.00/day (park in overflow)
- Tour Buses Dump Station: $50
- Additional Vehicles: $5
*Federal Interagency Senior/Access discounts only apply to single standard site rate. Does not apply to any other items or services. Card holder must be present on site to use discount.
Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted at this facility.
Things to Do
- Schedule a private hiking or waterfall tour with the Pisgah Field School
- NC Arboretum
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Tubing on the French Broad River
- Visit unique Asheville, NC
375 Wesley Branch Road
Asheville, NC 28806
GPS: N35.48773 W82.62966
Elevation: 2,100 feet